The Tao of Global HR Networking
Globalism is the dynamic process of globalisation, which involves the networking of interdependence at multi-continental distances. Networks are created deliberately through the flows and influences of ideas, information, technologies, trade and people. Globalism does not imply the outcome of universality as popularly believed. Indeed, globalisation did not and would not automatically result in the convergence or consensus of ideas, behaviors and cultures or the standardization of methods.
Globalism and interdependence are both multidimensional phenomena of the increasing pace of globalisation. Globalisation has also resulted in extensive arrays of multilateral cooperative arrangements in all human activity areas in trade, education, sports, defense, religion as well as social and technological innovation processes. The very success of multilateral cooperation has generated increased interdependence through global networks of people. Herein lies the challenges and prospects for the global networking of human resource (HR) professionals.
The key decisive factors for enduring and sustainable competitive advantages are the abilities to leverage and manage our most valuable basic assets: our human creativity, our knowledge and our skills. When inspired and motivated, they create the necessary adaptive business and management practices to harvest returns from innovative high value-laden products and services.
The HR Professional has always been a change-agent. Today, he/she has evolved to become a change-master. The HR Professional is the pivotal leader mobilizing and empowering critical talent resources to create lasting flexible and adaptive organisations to assure sustainability for their existential survival.
Complex and capricious global realities challenge HR Professionals in organisations to be innovative and creative to empower performance improvements continuously, and to facilitate the seeking out and building of new alliances and ventures. At the heart of the modern, Internet-leveraged, knowledge-based and knowledge-driven economy is the persistence of unstoppable turbulent change. New markets open up as new technologies are created with enabling mobile apps to unleash opportunities that in turn multiply and intensify the pace of innovation and competition in the marketplaces.
When they demonstrate exceptional mastery insights of issues in the broader business context, the HR Professional will come to embrace their natural responsibility and role in installing the key skills of enterprise, flexibility and innovation required by the emergent realities in society and markets. Within the human domain in engineering, services, marketing, finance, research and operations, the human asset is the most definitive ultimate disruptive technology, for the human intellectual, conceptual and interactive capabilities are the key determinants of sustainable employability even as they are also the significant impact outcomes of earlier educational and schooling processes. The relationship between teaching and learning is changing. Effective learning means more than just behavioral changes, but also the blended competencies to manage, share and create knowledge.
Change mastery is more than adding new skills - it is about being entrepreneurial in re-calibrating, reconfigurating, connecting and generating knowledge, and about being expert in how knowledge is created and materialized. It is in essence a mindware upgrade in the awakening to the constancy of timeless change prevailing in the new patterns of reality. The key challenge for HR Professionals as they embrace this consciousness is to share the awakening by diffusing the associated knowledge and understanding as quickly as possible to the workforce, and the rest of the population.
The enduring industries of the future now are knowledge-based individuals, communities and organisations that also leverage the pervasive power of the internet. Effective change strategies in anticipation and response to uncertainty in the fluxing social reality require effective change agents and change masters. They need to be equipped the skills to participate and intervene in the applicable change dynamics.
The purpose of HR Professionals at the front and center of any viable change strategy is to be involved and participate actively and, in so doing, to assume readily the leadership for action.
The outstanding priorities in global HR networking are professional development, generic and specific skills enhancement and visualizing the emergent challenges and their prospects. The most productive outcomes of global HR networking are obtained through the following network matrices:
- Strategic networks involve continuing contact among opinion and influence leaders to discuss broad goals or changes in societies and communities. The greater the frequency of contacts, the more self-aware they will become. As they awaken to the self-awareness and be stirred into action, the more likely that their organisations and institutions will evolve in complementary rather than conflicting activities.
- Tactical networks bring middle-level managers and professionals together to develop plans for specific projects or joint activities to identify organizational or system changes that will bridge or link their organizations and institutions more cohesively for the sharing and transfer of knowledge.
- Operational networks provide ways and access for those carrying-out day-to-day work to have timely access to the necessary information, resources or people to accomplish their tasks. For example, co-operative learning from participation in each other’s conferences, seminars and training program can help to develop a common language to facilitate product development standards and the urgent agenda for action.
- Interpersonal networks build the necessary grassroots foundation for creating future knowledge and values. As human relationships mature beyond the early days of scrabbling to create meaningful projects and create the structural framework to manage them, the network of interpersonal ties between members of separate organizations and institutions will strengthen in depth and density. Leaders of organizations and institutions will sense the beneficial impact as they bring their people together to information sharing and learning. Strong interpersonal relationships also help to resolve seminal conflicts before they escalate.
- Cultural networks address the diversity of people involved to deploy their communication skills and cultural awareness to bridge their differences through empathy, co-operative learning and mutual respect.
Our HR evolution is organic and driven by seemingly random mutation. By networking globally, the modern HR Professional connects and leverages on the rich diversity of human and intellectual talents across nations and contexts. Sharing drives progressive HR practice. As we interface and interact, we consciously lubricate the unconscious recombination, iteration, blending and sharing processes to enable the wackiest and stickiest ideas to survive. Sharing in networking is the breathing momentum of our collective imagination, for to inhale is to be nourished by peer inspiration, and to exhale is to evoke and unleash it in the first steps at materializing them. Sharing by the many will fuel our collective stamina along the learning journey to a better HR reality.
“Tao” refers to a practical system of personal development to attain the self-mastery that completes the harmonious evolution of inseparable physical, mental and spiritual essence. In the globalized HR Professional, it means cultivating a solid, adaptive foundation of knowledge capability and capacity that would provide the basis for the fullest development of the intellectual, human and spiritual potential. Collectively, a better HR consciousness for guaranteed impact is unleashed. The result is the HR Professional with the audacity of change and the capacity to create impact by making a significant difference in the lives of the many around him/her using authentic value-addedness to uplift and enhance otherwise mundane, confused and meaningless human existence.